Pet insurance for dogs is a major financial security you must have as a dog owner. Your dogs bring you an unparalleled sense of happiness and joy, they serve you with loyalty and all they’ve got. Therefore, you need to get a pet insurance policy to keep your lovely dogs healthy and void of health issues.
Are you looking forward to getting pet insurance for dogs but are unclear about the various dog insurance claims available and if it is actually worth it? Well, worry no more. You will find all your answers in this piece.
Before getting an insurance policy, it is important that you understand various dog insurance claims that you can file when you have a policy. Below are the most common insurance claims for your dog.
6 Most Common Dog Insurance Claims
1. Gastrointestinal Issues
For dogs, digestive problems are a frequent complaint. Dogs’ digestive disturbances can occur for a number of various reasons. The most frequent is an obstruction. When the dog gets a blockage in its digestive tract, this happens. The following are the causes of gastrointestinal issues.
- Dietary Indiscretion: This is when your dog eats something that it is not supposed to eat.
- Pancreatitis: GI can as well be caused by the inflammation of a digestive gland in your dog, caused by high-fat food.
- Parasites and Worms are often communicable or transmitted when your dog ingests the faeces of an infected animal.
- Bacteria are also causal organisms of GI. bacterias such as Coli, Salmonella, and Campylobacter which are usually passed between humans and animals with improper food handling. For instance, when dogs are fed raw meat diets, they can easily get digestive issues.
- Virus: Viruses like parvovirus that spreads through exposure to faeces from an infected animal also cause GI in dogs.
Fortunately, GI issues are health conditions that are easy to recognize. The most common symptoms include watery stools, vomiting and diarrhoea with loose. Loss of appetite, colitis and abdominal bloating are other symptoms.
2. Skin Issues
This is another dog insurance claim you can file. Skin issues in dogs are often caused by atopy. Atopy, also known as atopic dermatitis, is an allergic reaction to an inhaled environmental allergen that results in itchy skin. After flea allergies, atopy is the second most typical allergy in dogs.
According to PetsBest, 9.7% of pest insurance for dogs is major because of atopy. Some of the symptoms of this condition include; Lesions on affected skin areas, Reddened patches of skin, hair loss and bad odour to mention but a few. Other common skin issues include:
- Ringworm: this is a highly contagious fungal infection that can spread from pets to other pets and humans as well. It appears as a circular bald patch on the skin. However, it can be treated using oral medication or medicated shampoo, depending on how severe the infection is.
- Fleas: Flea allergies in dogs can lead to serious skin conditions. Flea control products can aid in the problem’s prevention, but they must be used on both the pet and their bedding. Topical steroids, antibiotic shampoos and creams, oral antihistamines, antibiotics, and steroids are all possible forms of treatment.
- Mange: This is caused by different types of mites. The most common mites that cause mange are Demodex and Scabies. Scabies is usually contracted from native wildlife or other infected dogs. They are very itchy and can be transmitted to humans as well. The Demodex mite is can cause severe skin damage and hair loss.
However, note that these skin conditions are not life-threatening but can be expensive to treat. This is why many people use their pet insurance to cover this condition.
3. Ear and Eye Infections
Another popular dog insurance claims most pet insurance issues are ear and eye infection. An ear infection is popular in dogs while eye infection occurs seldomly. Dogs with floppy and long ears like the Cocker Spaniels and Basset Hounds are susceptible to ear infections.
This is major because air doesn’t circulate well into their ears. Other causes of dog ear infections include; bacterial overgrowth, rashes, mites, cancer and allergies. The most common symptoms of ear infection are:
- Redness and Swelling
- Foul odour
- Brownish discharge
- Hearing loss
- Scratching or rubbing around the ear
- Walking in circles
- localized hair loss
Also, there are certain dog breeds that are disposed to eye infections as well. Border Collies are a perfect example. It often suffers from collie eye anomaly which is an inherited bilateral eye disease that affects the choroid, sclera and retina.
some dog breeds often get cancer more than others. According to some research, over 60% of Golden Retriever deaths are caused by cancer. Therefore, it’s important you monitor your retriever’s behaviour so that when it starts showing unusual symptoms, you can take care of it as soon as possible.
In fact, over 50% of all canine cancers are curable if they are treated as soon as possible. However, treatment of cancer can come very expensive but with pet insurance, the price would be more friendly.
5. Urinary Tract Infection
Although most pet insurance for cats is because of UTIs dogs have them as well. UTIs occur mostly in female dogs and it is one the most commonly occurring infectious diseases in dogs. Research has shown that at least 14% of dogs experience UTIs at some point in their life. This infection is a bacterial infection and could cause other health problems such as Cushing’s disease, kidney diseases etc.
The symptom of this health issue depends on the part of the urinary system that is affected. However, the bladder is mostly affected and some of the symptoms can include frequent urination, foul-smelling urine, straining to urinate, blood in urine etc. Other clinical signs include:
- Abdominal pain
- Blood in urine
UTIs are mostly treated with antibiotics but can be expensive. However, if you file a pet insurance claim because of this disease, medical treatment will be offered at little or no cost, depending on your policy.
Seizures in dogs happen for some reason which includes injury to the brain and heatstroke. A dog that has no reason to experience seizure might experience it after taking toxic substances such as certain human food, medications, insecticides, plants etc.
Dogs can also suffer from epilepsy. Idiopathic epilepsy is an inherited disorder in dogs and some of these breeds are prone to it.
- German Shepherds
- Border Collies
Some of the symptoms of a seizure include shaking, excessive salivating, loss of consciousness and flailing. So if you suspect your dog is having a seizure, be sure to contact your vet immediately. However, ensure to check if your dog insurance cost covers this health issue before filing a dog insurance claim.
Pet Insurance for Dogs | Frequently Asked Question
How Much Does Dog Insurance Cost?
For those who often ask the question: ‘how much is dog insurance?’.
Basically, the monthly premium for dog insurance starts from as low as $10 to as high as $100 above. There, however, is no fixed price for dog insurance. Your pet’s age, breed and specie and other factors will determine your dog insurance cost.
How Do Insurance Claims Work?
An insurance claim is simply a request that you issue to your insurance company for the coverage of a policy event. For instance, if your dog suffers from skin issues, you can file a dog insurance claim with your insurer. Your insurer will validate the claim and once approved, they will issue payment to the vet clinic.
How Much Is A Dog Bite Insurance Claim Settlement?
Dog bite settlements are worth $30,000 to $50,000. However, you might get a lower offer if the sustained injuries from the bite are minor.
Dog Insurance That Covers Everything Is?
The Comprehensive Coverage Plans
They cover both the major and minor illnesses of your dog. It also bears the cost of some deadly medical issues.
What Are The Pet Insurance Claims Jobs Available?
Some pet insurance claims jobs include Claim Administrator, Customer Service Adviser, Pet Claims Handler, Recovery Claims Handler etc.
When Do Insurance Companies Pay Out Claims?
Typically, insurance claims are usually paid within 14,028 days of filing the claim.